Finally passing my EPA 608 after failing twice — what actually worked
So I failed the EPA 608 twice before I finally got my act together and passed last month. The first time I went in barely prepared, figured I'd studied refrigeration principles enough in school and could wing the rest. Wrong. The second time I actually studied but focused too much on refrigerant recovery procedures and completely bombed the electrical and tools section. Frustrating doesn't cover it.
What finally clicked was getting more systematic about the equipment and tools questions, which I'd been glossing over. I spent two weeks specifically drilling that stuff — including using the HVAC HVAC Tools and Equipment practice test to identify my weak spots. Turns out I had huge gaps in pressure gauge identification and manifold sets that I didn't even know about.
For anyone else struggling: don't sleep on the tools and equipment portion of your HVAC - Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning practice test prep. That section hit me harder than refrigerant regulations both times I failed. Happy to share my full study guide breakdown if anyone wants it.
Related Discussions
- Honest breakdown of what actually helped me pass ATP (and what I wasted money on)9 replies
- What actually helped me stop shaking before the CARO exam (not the usual advice)9 replies
- Is CARO certification worth it for career growth? Honest take8 replies
- What score do you actually need to pass the RSES exam? Breaking down the numbers8 replies
- Failed RSES on my first try — here's what actually went wrong (and how I passed second tim8 replies